Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My TOP 10 First-Year Counselor Tools (Elementary)

When I first started out, I was constantly looking for resources and materials to keep on hand in the office. Currently, these are my top 10 favorite Elementary Counseling tools that I use! 

1. Balloons- Having a supply of balloons in my room has helped me tremendously. I have used them for teaching calm breathing techniques, anger management, group games, team building, stress balls, classroom guidance and SO much more. They have truly been a lifesaver!

2. Question Cards- I keep a supply of laminated question cards (business card size) in my room. These have been helpful in group when we are getting to know one another as well as one-on-one when I am working with a student who is a bit slow to warm. I recommend every first-year elementary school counselor have these on hand!

3. Yarn/String- You would be surprised at how much red yarn I go through. It is good to have on hand just in case you need it. Some of the things I have used yarn/string for include: paper cup phones, classroom guidance lessons about getting "tangled up" in lies, and as tops for bookmarks for Random Acts of Kindness week!

4. Chart paper- Chart paper is super handy when it comes to Classroom Guidance Lessons! Plus, a lot of the teachers want to keep the chart paper after the lesson and hang it up in the classroom.

5. Lanyards- I use lanyards for my Secret Service Agents and for my Lunch Buddy groups. The lanyard works as a hall pass as well as a reminder for students. I try to keep at least 10 lanyards on hand, the ones with the card holders work best.

6. Hula hoop- I keep a green hula hoop in my office and have found that I pull it out usually once a week if not more. I use the hula hoop during small group games and team building mainly. There are tons of things you can do with a hula hoop!!

7. Tissues- This seems like an obvious one...However, I have learned very quickly that it is a good idea to have multiple boxes of tissues around your office. I am very lucky to have such a sizable work space, that being said, I try to keep a tissue box at arms length at all times. I also keep some cinnamon-flavored tissues on hand, they are different and the students like the way they smell.

8. Mini dry-erase board- I have a larger dry-erase board in my room but also keep a small one on hand. Sometimes a student will write down something on the white board that they don't feel comfortable saying out loud and then they can erase it. This can be a very powerful tool.

9. Magic Wand- Ahh the magic wand! I have one magic wand now but hope to acquire more! I use the magic wand a lot during small group discussions and individual work. We use it with the magic question, "If you could wave a magic wand and change something, what would you change?" Plus, whenever some of my students see the magic wand, their curiosity is sparked and they are more inclined to open up.

10.  Clay/Playdough- Awesome to have on hand. I use clay with every group I run at one point or another and most of the students become very engaged! Plus using clay or playdough can be a great stress reliever!

What supplies to you LOVE to use in your counseling program? What would you have on your list? Comment below! 





2 comments:

  1. Feeling cards. The "Mixed Emotion" set available on Amazon is my favorite. Kids can untangle the complicated feelings they have. Many many uses. I think they are great for all levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! I have just picked up some stuff on teachers pay teachers but I will definitely check out the "Mixed Emotion" set.

      Delete