Monday, February 24, 2014

Self-care in times of need...

Hello Counseling friends!

Last semester, I went to a conference called the South East Asian Counsellors Network Conference. It was held in Ho Chi Minh City at the British International School in District 2. Counselors from all over SEA were here to discuss and learn more about counseling and counseling interventions. One of the workshops was focused on professional self-care. We discussed some things we do to make sure we have self-care; some of the things that came up were:

  1. Reading a good book 
  2. Listening to music
  3. Yoga and other exercise 
  4. Traveling 
  5. Talking with other counselors 
  6. Going for a walk 
  7. Favorite hobbies 
  8. Baking or cooking 
  9. Pampering yourself (massage, manicure/pedicure, etc) 
  10. Making time for friends and family 
and more! 

However, even though I know some ways to practice self-care, I have had some difficulty doing it lately. I don't know if anyone else experiences this but I can imagine it would be quite common. Sometimes I come home from work and feel like I am not my best self. I try to be my "best self" at work and when I am with students, but for some reason have difficulty doing it outside of work. Does anyone else ever feel like this? If so, what do you do to combat it? What self-care do you practice? Any advice or input would be highly helpful. 

This is me at the end of the day... 

Until next time!



2 comments:

  1. Have a place on the way home where you "switch gears" go from work-life to home-life and vice versa. I also have a landmark where I remember to be mindful. I cross a small river and take some deep breaths and clear my mind. Stop lights are good for that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is some great advice! I have been trying to do some more reflective gratefulness activities, but I think the landmark idea is definitely something I could start doing!

      Delete