Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Turning Mine-o-Saurs into Share-o-Saurs

I met with my second grade small group (friendship group) today and we did an activity where students focused on sharing. I found an activity that used the book, "Mine-o-Saur" by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen. I checked to see if the book was in our library but unfortunately it was not. Improvisation to the rescue! I found the book as a read-aloud on YouTube . The kids loved the book and then we discussed openly about how it feels when others won't share with us AND when we don't share with others. I was impressed by how engaged the students were in our discussion. Some of the comments included things like: 
  • "People said I was "yucky" and wouldn't play with me, it make me so sad" 
  • "I feel lonely sometimes when every play a game without me or use toys I don't have."
  • "I get angry when I ask for something and people don't share with me"
I did have one student say:
  • "Everyone shares with me and I never feel lonely. I am so perfect" (I was a bit unsure on how to respond to this one and the other students did seem to pay much attention to the comment...any suggestions?)
After our discussion and reflection, students were able to choose different dinosaur papers and design their own "Share-o-Saurs". Each student was given a bucket of certain supplies. Out of 8 students this is how the buckets were divided up: 
  1. Two blue colored pencils. 
  2. An entire box of crayons.
  3. Three randomly colored markers. 
  4. A glue stick. 
  5. A glue stick and a black colored pencil. 
  6. An entire box of crayons and an entire box of colored pencils. 
  7. Three brown markers. 
  8. One broken yellow crayon. 
I didn't give the students any other initial directions...It was amazing how much they shared with one another. I did have to facilitate a couple of  times and highlighted some of the phrases people were using. The students were able to reflect how important using polite language was and the importance of sharing. Super proud of my second-grade!

  • What are some other small-group activities you have found to be helpful with sharing? 
  • What have you found to be the biggest relational or social skills needed with your students? 

No comments:

Post a Comment